Court to rule next week on state’s foreign evidence postponement in Thulsie terror case

0

\n

Court to rule next week on state’s foreign evidence postponement in Thulsie terror case

\n \n

\n Roxanne Henderson | 2017-01-20 12:09:51.0\n \n \n \n \n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n \n\n \n\n\n \n \n

\n \n \n \n\n\n\n \n \n \n \n \n\n\n\n

\n

\n \n \n Brandon-Lee Thulsie and Tony-Lee Thulsie were allegedly plotting to blow up the US Embassy and Jewish institutions in South Africa on behalf of terror group Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL). Photo file.\n \n \n \n \n
Image by: Facebook\n \n \n \n

\n

\n\n \n \n \n \n\n\n\n \n

\n The twin brothers accused of planning acts of terrorism will know next week whether the prosecution will be allowed time to investigate their case with international help.\n

\n \n \n

\n

Brandon-Lee and Tony-Lee Thulsie appeared at the Johannesburg Magistrates Court on Friday as the state and defence concluded their arguments in the state’s application for a postponement to April.

The brothers from Newclare‚ west of Johannesburg‚ were arrested on July 9 after their homes were searched by police.

They face three counts relating to terrorism for their alleged attempts to travel to Syria and join Islamic State‚ and alleged plans to attack US and Jewish interests in South Africa.

The state asked for a postponement earlier this week in order to collect evidence from other countries‚ including the US‚ Britain‚ Kenya‚ Syria and Turkey.

Advocate Annelene van den Heever‚ for the defence‚ opposed the application‚ saying the state’s request violated the twins’ constitutional rights.

She said the state gave a poor reason for the postponement‚ which was to get its house in order in terms of its investigation‚ while the brothers remained behind bars.

“The matter can be struck off the roll and the state can reinstate charges when it has completed its investigation.”

She also said that the state’s application lacked particularity and provided no proof that the relevant information it sought from other governments would be forthcoming by April.

Prosecutor Chris MacAdam argued‚ however‚ that the Thulsies were in custody because they had voluntarily abandoned their bail applications. The defence could therefore not claim a postponement violated their rights‚ he said.

MacAdam said the state’s case was strong at this stage‚ quoting a Facebook post by one of the brothers which allegedly glorified the 2015 Paris terror attacks‚ and other documents found on their digital devices.

The court will rule on the postponement application on January 25.

– TMG Digital

\n \n \n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n \n

\n \n \n \n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n \n \n \n \n \n \n \n \n\n\n\n \n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n \n \n \n\n\n\n \n \n \n\n\n \n \n \n\n\n \n\n \n\n\n \n \n \n \n \n\n \n \n \n \n \n

\r\n \r\n

You might also like

Leave a comment