SABC loses another court bid to keep Hlaudi Motsoeneng employed

0

SABC loses another court bid to keep Hlaudi Motsoeneng employed

Genevieve Quintal And Bekezela Phakathi | 2017-02-07 13:06:50.0

Hlaudi Motsoeneng. File photo.

Image by: SIMPHIWE NKWALI

The Western Cape High Court on Tuesday dismissed the SABC’s application for leave to appeal against its order that Hlaudi Motsoeneng should not occupy any position at the public broadcaster.

The court ruled in November last year that Motsoeneng’s appointment as group executive of corporate affairs – the post he had held previously‚ before he became chief operating officer – was “irrational and unlawful”.

It said Motsoeneng could not occupy any position at the SABC until a 2014 report by the public protector was set aside or new disciplinary processes against him were finalised. The court said the initial disciplinary hearing that cleared Motsoeneng of wrongdoing was “wholly inadequate”.

The DA welcomed Tuesday’s court decision‚ saying it was a positive step towards restoring the integrity and independence of the SABC.

“The DA also welcomes the fact that Motsoeneng and his toxic influence will now be removed from the SABC‚ until such time as he has either faced a satisfactory disciplinary hearing and/or the findings and remedial action by the public protector have been reviewed and set aside by another court‚” federal executive chairman James Selfe said. –

Read the full story here.

– TMG Digital/BusinessLIVE



rn rn

You might also like

Leave a comment