Scott-Crossley denied bail – Times LIVE

0

Scott-Crossley denied bail

Jan Bornman | 2017-02-10 12:02:37.0

Judge Maluleke found Mark Scott-Crossley guilty of killing Nelson Chisale by throwing him into the lion enclosure.

Image by: Dudu Zitha/ Sunday Times

Mark Scott-Crossley‚ the controversial Limpopo farmer accused of running over a worker in December‚ had his bail application denied in the Lenyenye Magistrate’s Court on Friday morning.

That’s according to police spokesperson Brigadier Motlafela Mojapelo‚ who said the matter was remanded to March 24 for further investigation.

“The people were‚ as always‚ chanting outside court‚ but were not violent‚” he said. “Public Order Policing members were deployed for monitoring.”

Scott-Crossley is facing an attempted murder charge after running over Silence Mabunda in Hoedspruit in December last year‚ as well as a charge of malicious damage to property.

He allegedly went on the run after the incident‚ and after negotiations between his lawyer and the police‚ he handed himself over on January 18 in Pretoria.

Scott-Crossley gained notoriety after he was initially jailed for life in October 2005 after he and two of his farm employees threw a former farm worker‚ Nelson Chisale‚ into a lion enclosure where he was eaten.

Scott-Crossley appealed his life sentence and the Supreme Court of Appeal in Bloemfontein set aside his murder conviction and substituted it with five years’ imprisonment‚ stating that the prosecution had failed to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that Chisale was still alive when he was fed to the lions on September 28‚ 2007.

While Scott-Crossley was serving his sentence at Barberton Maximum Security Prison in Mpumalanga‚ he assaulted a fellow inmate‚ Jacobus Cordier‚ whom he claimed tried to attack him with a sharpened spoon.

Scott-Crossley was released on parole in August 2008 and he went back to his farm outside Hoedspruit and continued with his game-farming life.

– TMG Digital



rn rn

You might also like

Leave a comment