Transport department orders probe into Pretoria train accident

0

Transport department orders probe into Pretoria train accident

Staff Writer | 2017-02-21 14:47:51.0

Train. File photo

Image by: Twitter/Sowetan LIVe

The Department of Transport has directed the Railway Safety Regulator (RSR) to immediately investigate the cause of a head-on collision between two Metrorail trains on Monday.

The Passenger Rail Authority of SA (Prasa) had further been directed to take immediate measures to improve safety‚ and impose consequences on managers‚ the department said in a statement.

No fatalities were reported during the incident that saw trains travelling between DeWildt to Pretoria and from Rosslyn and Medunsa stations collide at around 6pm‚ injuring more than 100 passengers‚ including the two drivers.

United National Transport Union (Untu) general-secretary Steve Harris said the cause of the collision was unclear‚ but it did not appear to be the fault of either driver. “What we do know is that the operating method was abnormal‚ both train drivers were authorised by their train conform officers to continue on the route‚” he said. The department said on Tuesday bus services had been commissioned to transport commuters between Winter Nest‚ Rosslyn and DeWildt stations.

TMG Digital/BusinessLIVE



rn rn

You might also like

Leave a comment