No arrests yet in Roodepoort taxi rape

0

No arrests yet in Roodepoort taxi rape

Nomahlubi Jordaan | 2017-03-24 16:37:52.0

ActionAid South Africa urged government to protect women using public transport. File photo

Image by: Facebook/Bargain Cars South Africa

No arrests have been made in connection with the rape that occurred in a taxi along Ontdekkers Road in Roodepoort last week.

“This office cannot confirm any arrests. A team that has been established is following several leads to arrest the perpetrators‚” said police spokesperson Lieutenant Colonel Lungelo Dlamini on Friday.

A woman was allegedly held at gunpoint and raped by three men who also withdrew money from her bank account.

Gauteng Community Safety Department spokesperson Ndivhuho Gadisi said MEC Sizakele Nkosi-Malobane had met with taxi associations and the police on Thursday.

He said the owner of the taxi in which the woman was raped came forward and was taken in for questioning.

“He identified the taxi as his. The driver of the taxi was also taken for questioning and was released [on Friday]‚” Gadisi said.

He said the department was in possession of CCTV footage of the alleged suspects withdrawing money from different ATMs.

“The call by the MEC to all women who have fallen victims of rape on taxis to come forward resulted in five women reporting similar incidents.

“Some of the women claimed they were turned away at the police stations they went to report the cases at because they were not within their jurisdiction.

“The police officers should not have turned the women away. They should have taken their statements and referred the cases to the relevant police stations.”

Gadisi said the women who came forward will be receiving counselling and will be assisted to open cases.

– TMG Digital



rn rn

You might also like

Leave a comment