Corruption case against S’bu Ndebele likely to be dropped – report
TMG Digital | 2017-03-26 10:18:20.0
Former transport minister S’bu Ndebele. File photo.
Image by: ALON SKUY
The corruption case against former transport minister S’bu Ndebele is likely to be dropped after intervention by President Jacob Zuma‚ the City Press reported on Sunday.
The newspaper cited three sources‚ who said that Zuma had appointed a senior to mediate between Ndebele and prosecutors after Ndebele had complained to the president about political interference in his case.
City Press said documents had revealed that there had been great haste to arrest Ndebele in 2015.
“Emails and an investigating officer’s diary reveal how National Director of Public Prosecutions (NDPP) Shaun Abrahams‚ Road Traffic Management Corporation (RTMC) chief executive officer (CEO) Makhosini Msibi‚ the Special Investigating Unit (SIU) and the Hawks’ Anti-corruption Task Team head Major General Zinhle Mnonopi put pressure on the prosecutor and investigating officer to rush Ndebele’s arrest‚” the newspaper reported.
It is believed that the arrest was key in firming up a civil case against the company Tasima.
Tasima has been caught in a legal battle with RTMC‚ which wants Tasima to hand over a multi-million rand contract to manage RTMC’s Electronic National Administration Traffic Information System (eNatis).
Ndebele is accused of accepting a R10 million bribe in exchange for fixing tenders worth department of transport tenders worth R2 billion.
Ndebele offered to resigned from his position as high commissioner to Australia‚ in order to spare the country’s reputation‚ Business Day reported in November last year.
Ndebele told Business Day he was back in the country to face the charges against him.