Ex-Springbok Dalton in court for assault
Aron Hyman | 2017-04-03 11:08:11.0
Former Springbok rugby player, James Dalton, leaves the Pretoria Magistrates Court, with his lawyer Nikki Mitchell, after his wife dropped charges of assault against him (2008). File photo
Image by: ALON SKUY/© The Times
Former Springbok hooker James Dalton appeared briefly in the Cape Town magistrate’s court on Monday.
He was arrested for resisting arrest‚ assault and intimidation in February after allegedly fleeing the scene of an accident in which his car was involved.
Outside the court room Dalton said he wanted the media to investigate the car accident.
“Instead of talking to me‚ why don’t you go to the scene of the so-called crime?” said Dalton‚ while rushing out of the court building with his attorney.
The 44-year-old was part of the Springbok squad that won the 1995 Rugby World Cup in South Africa.
He did not play in the historic final against New Zealand because he was suspended from the tournament for fighting during a match against Canada.
In 2003 the rugby star tearfully announced his retirement from the game at a press conference in Randburg‚ Johannesburg. He played 43 Tests and 58 matches for the Springboks.
In 2008 he was cleared of attempted murder charges.
At the time he was accused of trying to drown his wife in a bathtub.
He was arrested just before Christmas in 2007 after she reported the incident.
The Times reported on her affidavit. She said he had been unfaithful and it emerged that they were in the process of divorcing.
His lawyer‚ Nikki Mitchell‚ told the court in Pretoria that he was a public figure whose reputation was being tarnished by the media.
The case against Dalton failed because his wife failed to provide a supplementary statement.
“The investigating officer has tried unsuccessfully on numerous occasion to contact her and trace her. It is insufficient to proceed with what we have – an affidavit made on December 18  by her‚” Du Plessis was quoted in the paper at the time.