Candidate abandons bid for Northern Cape Judge President post
Naledi Shange | 2017-04-05 12:38:53.0
Judge Cecile Williams had decided to withdraw. File photo.
Image by: Thinkstock
The only female candidate pursuing the position of the Northern Cape Judge President has withdrawn from the process‚ it was revealed to the Judicial Services Commission on Wednesday.
Judge Cecile Williams had been invited to interview for both the Judge President and Deputy Judge President vacancies.
Chief Justice Mogoeng Mogoeng announced before proceedings started that Williams had decided to withdraw but gave no explanation for her decision.
This left the incumbent Northern Cape Deputy President‚ Judge Lazarus Tlaletsi as the only candidate to be interviewed by the JSC for the Judge President position.
Williams withdrawal came as a surprise amid calls for more females to take on seats in senior positions from the judiciary.
Tlaletsi was seemingly unaware of William’s decision to withdraw from the interviews.
During his interview‚ he told the JSC that there was no bad blood between him and Williams‚ who is a judge in the Northern Cape High Court.
Tlaletsi said he had called Williams following the shortlisting and they discussed the matter.
“We are not fighting. Whoever gets it‚ we should support each other‚” Tlaletsi said.
Behind closed doors‚ the JSC made deliberations on whether Tlaletsi should be recommended to President Jacob Zuma for the post.
One of the questions posed to Tlaletsi concerned his thoughts about the disciplinary systems put in place for judges.
He said he believed systems were in place and were doing the work they were designated to do.
Commissioner Thandi Modise quizzed him further and asked whether she and the public were wrong to think the systems in place to discipline judges were not adequate.
Tlaletsi responded that it was all a matter of perception. – TMG Digital