‘I was also assaulted‚’ says another airport heist suspect

0

‘I was also assaulted‚’ says another airport heist suspect

Kyle Cowan | 2017-04-05 17:09:46.0

The five men accused of being involved in the daring cash heist at OR Tambo International Airport. File photo

Image by: Kyle Cowan

A man accused of being involved in the cash heist at OR Tambo airport during which R20 million was stolen has alleged he was assaulted by police after his arrest.

Prince Raphael Dube told the Kempton Park Magistrate’s Court on Wednesday police arrested him in the Johannesburg CBD last month‚ days after the robbery.

This was during a continuation of his formal bail application on charges of armed robbery with aggravated circumstances.

“The police then took me to my place of residence where I was assaulted in front of my wife and minor children‚” his attorney Oscar Machevele read from an affidavit.

“Thereafter I was taken to a place that is unknown to me and I was repeatedly assaulted between Thursday and Sunday.”

Along with a responding affidavit replying to issues raised by the State during the reading of a statement by Hawks investigating officer Colonel Samuel Mahlangu‚ Dube submitted to the court a copy of his SA drivers license‚ ID as well as a certificate of registration for a closed corporation.

This was in direct response to the state’s claim Dube was an illegal immigrant from Zimbabwe.

The matter was adjourned until Thursday‚ at which time State prosecutor Jacob Serebo will present supplementary affidavits to further oppose Dube’s bail.

The affidavits in question are by Mahlangu and the South African Revenue Service and are expected to bring further evidence before the court against Dube.

Machevele informed the court that Dube planned to open a case of assault against the entire investigative police team.

“I will also refer the court to the matters of the first two accused against whom charges were withdrawn by this court under similar circumstances‚” he said.

“Clearly a pattern of how the police officers conducted themselves in these arrests is emerging.”

Dube last week told the court he earns R400 000 a month for his work as a “stand exhibitionist”. 



rn rn

You might also like

Leave a comment