‘I raped and killed her’ – Franziska Blochliger’s attacker finally admits guilt
Petru Saal And Aron Hyman | 2017-05-30 13:27:48.0
Howard Oliver has finally admitted to killing and raping teenager Franziska Blochliger. File photo.
Image by: Image by: Ruvan Boshoff
Howard Oliver has finally admitted to killing and raping teenager Franziska Blochliger – more than 14 months after her body was found at Tokai Forest in Cape Town.
Oliver‚ from Westlake‚ made his admission at the High Court in Cape Town on Tuesday where he is on trial for rape‚ robbery and murder.
In an affidavit handed to the court‚ he explained how he grabbed the 16-year-old jogger from behind and dragged her into fynbos at Tokai Forest.
“When I dragged her body deep enough into the fynbos so that no one could see us. I went through the process of removing the cell phone‚ earphones and ring from her. I saw a watch on her when I grabbed her but when I looked for it I could not find it‚” said his affidavit.
He admitted to using shoes laces to tie her hands and gag her. He then pushed her face down into the ground‚ removed her clothing and proceeded to rape her.
“Before leaving her I discovered that she was not breathing. My legal representative informed me that the post mortem noted the cause of death as suffocation by pressing the face against the ground and manual throttling.”
He had earlier pleaded not guilty to the rape and murder charges.
Earlier this month Jared Van Wyk‚ who was part of a search party looking for Blochliger‚ said that her body was still warm when he came across it.
Blöchliger went jogging in Tokai forest in March 7‚ 2016. She had arranged to meet her mother after her run but when she did not arrive the family started to worry. A search ensued and her body was found.
Her iPhone‚ watch‚ headset and diamond ring were missing.
Judge Katharina Savage adjourned the trial until Wednesday when she is expected to deliver her judgment.
– TMG Digital/TimesLIVE