Trial of Limpopo men found with girl’s head postponed
Zoe Mahopo | 2017-05-31 13:42:13.0
The trial of Stanley Mahlake‚25‚ and Edward Raatji, who were allegedly arrested in possession of a teenage girl’s head, has been postponed to November 13. File photo.
Image by: Thinkstock
The murder trial of two Limpopo men who were allegedly arrested in possession of a teenage girl’s head has been postponed to November 13 by the High Court in Polokwane.
Stanley Mahlake‚25‚ and Edward Raatji appeared before the court on Wednesday in connection with the murder of Nthabiseng Mosomane‚17‚ in July last year.
On Monday presiding Judge Matsoro Semenya said she would have to postpone the case to Wednesday to allow Raatji to sort out his legal representation. Raatji had complained to the court that some errors on the part of the state were delaying the trial.
However on Wednesday Raatji’s lawyer‚ Anita Campbell‚ said she had consulted with her client and he agreed to a further postponement based on her availability.
Semenya asked Campbell whether she was aware that Raatji complained about delays on Monday.
Campbell told the court that she only received the docket in the morning‚ adding that Raatji was aware that she would only be available in November due to other commitments.
Raatji and Mohlake were arrested in possession of a human head near the taxi rank in Polokwane CBD last year.
The head was linked to Nthabiseng’s body which was discovered not far from her home in Mapela outside Mokopane.
The case sparked anger in the community which resulted in the houses of both Raatji and Mohlake being torched by angry residents last year.
– TMG Digital/TimesLIVE