Sentencing of modelling boss Dawie de Villiers delayed again
Naledi Shange | 2017-06-12 13:37:39.0
Modelling agency boss Dawie de Villiers. File photo
Image by: Dawie de Villiers via Twitter
The sentencing of former modelling boss Dawie de Villiers was again on Monday postponed as transcripts for his trial were yet to be completed.
Prosecutor Arveena Persad said an email from the transcribers’ office had been received‚ stating the documents were yet to be ready.
“In these circumstances‚ we have no choice but to postpone for a short period‚” said Persad‚ saying that the matter could not be finalised without the accused being in possession of the documents.
Vicky Ferreira‚ the head of the transcribers‚ was meant to have been present for proceedings. She instead sent an email excusing herself and detailing the efforts she had made to get the documents ready.
Transcripts for at least eight days were still outstanding.
Persad said she would convey to the transcribers the urgency of the matter.
De Villiers’ lawyer had no objection‚ saying that he had also received the email.
Dressed in a brown jacket‚ De Villiers walked out of court still a free man.
He is out on bail of R15‚000.
His matter returns to court on June 27.
The disgraced model scout‚ who assisted in Miss SA pageants‚ has been convicted on numerous charges including rape‚ sexual assault‚ exposing children to pornography and fraud amounting to around R200‚000.
One of children‚ a ten-year-old boy‚ testified to seeing pornographic images on De Villiers’ laptop.
Another witness‚ a girl who was seven at the time‚ claimed to have been exposed to naked girls at De Villiers’ East Rand home.
Another young girl had told the court that she was 15 when De Villiers invited her to his modelling agency. He then raped her at his home on a day when they had scheduled a photo shoot.
Judge Cassim Moosa accepted the witnesses’ testimony but criticised De Villiers’ testimony for being riddled with inconsistencies.