Southampton knock Liverpool out to reach EFL Cup final


Shane Long scored the only goal of the match in the 90th minute as Southampton beat Liverpool 1-0 at Anfield on the night and 2-0 on aggregate to claim a place in the EFL Cup final.

  • Liverpool 0 Southampton 1
  • Long scores late winner for Saints
  • Redmond twice goes close in first half
  • Forster save denies Can
  • Sturridge misses chance from close-range

Match Summary

Southampton dominated the first half, with Nathan Redmond (pictured) going close on a number of occasions.

The Reds came into the game in the second half but after missing a couple of clear chances, Long landed the telling blow in a brisk counter-attack late on.

Full Report

As was expected, Liverpool dominated the possession in the early exchanges, but failed register any meaningful attempts in the opening minutes.

It was Southampton who had the first real chance of the match after 10 minutes, when Nathan Redmond was played into a bit of space after some neat passes, but the goalscorer from the first leg took the wrong option and the move fizzled out.

Moments later Redmond had another chance, but this time the side netting came to Liverpool’s defense after the winger sliced his effort.

Liverpool continued to have the lion’s share of the ball, but were unable to muster meaningful attacks, as Daniel Sturridge cut a forlorn figure up front.

On the half-hour mark, Saints again threatened the Liverpool goal when James Milner brilliantly blocked Steven Davis’ goal-bound shot, after Nathan Redmond’s cross was only partially cleared by Dejan Lovren.

Redmond continued to be a thorn in the Liverpool side and in the 36th minute he almost single-handedly undid the Reds defense with a jinking run and found Dusan Tadic, but the striker’s effort lacked any venom and Loris Karius in the Reds goal smothered his effort.

As the first half drew to a close, Redmond was at it again, but this time his shot from range was wide of the mark.

Liverpool had their first meaningful attack of the match six minutes into the second half when Adam Lallana found some space in the Saints box, but the visitors’ defense crowded out the England international and the move came to nothing.

Two minutes later the hosts thought they had scored when Emre Can’s 25-yard goal-bound shot seemed to have Fraser Forster beaten, but the Saints keeper managed to claw the ball away from goal with a fine recovery save.

On the hour mark, Liverpool had a glorious chance to bring themselves back in the tie when Sturridge was found by a James Milner cross, but the striker could only volley his effort from seven yards out over the goal.

ALSO READ: Philippe Coutinho signs new deal with Liverpool

As the second half progressed, Liverpool came into the came more and Sturridge nearly found the back of the net in the 63rd minute after some neat play by Jordan Henderson, but the striker’s shot once again flew over the bar, although the second of his chances was far more difficult than the earlier effort.

Southampton sat deeper and deeper as the clock wound down, meaning Liverpool made all the running in the closing stages, albeit without creating too much in front of goal.

With time running out for Liverpool, Southampton put the tie beyond doubt in the final minute of regulation time. A brisk counter-attack by Josh Sims created an overlap for second half substitute Shane Long, who stroked his shot past Karius to send Claude Puel’s side into the EFL Cup final.

rn rn

You might also like

Leave a comment