Ex-UPDF soldier seeks justice 2 years after being hit by car


A former Uganda People’s Defence Force (UPDF) soldier is pleading for justice and help two years after he was seriously injured by a car owned by Mosa Court Apartments Ltd.

Cpl (rtd) Innocent Katungi had been working as a casual labourer at Arua Park when a black Super Custom vehicle rammed into him and Joyce Nankya on November 15, 2015.

Nankya, a mother of two, died on the spot while Mr Katungi was rushed in a police vehicle to Mulago Hospital in Kampala for treatment.

Now homeless and living on the streets of Kampala, Mr Katungi who walks with the aid of a wooden crutch and passes urine through a tube, which drains into a bag outside his body, says Mosa Court Apartments Ltd owned by the NRM party vice chairperson, Al-hajj Moses Kigongo, paid him Shs4 million to meet some of his medical bill and buy food.

Consent agreement
But Mr Muhammood Mulongo, the general manager of Mosa Court Apartments, who drafted the agreement on May 30, 2016, says he took Mr Katungi through the whole agreement and Mr Katungi signed on his own accord. In the draft and final consent agreement, copies which Daily Monitor has seen, Mosa Court Apartments Ltd paid Mr Katungi Shs4 million as settlement so that he “makes no further claim” against Mosa Court Apartments Ltd.

But Mr Katungi, who claims he can neither read nor write English, says he was duped by the proprietors of the apartments to sign the document.

Mr Katungi’s lawyer Simon Muhumuza Kateeba had in a February 10, 2016 letter to Mosa Court Apartments’ lawyers proposed his client be paid Shs25 million as final compensation. But on February 15, Mr Katungi hatched a plan to get the attention of President Museveni to help him. He camped at the High Court in Kampala and waited.

At around 10:30pm, as the Presidential motorcade made its way to State House, Nakasero, Mr Katungi threw himself in the road after the first two lead cars had passed. The vehicles bypassed him, but one returned after some time.

He says a UPDF Special Forces Command (SFC) captain then interviewed him on why he had made the move and he recounted his story. He was taken to Central Police Station, Kampala. The police that same night transferred him to Kiruddu General Hospital for medical attention.

Hospital response
“The hospital staff told me they don’t have medicine or experts to attend to my case,” Mr Katungi says.

After two days at the hospital without any assistance, Mr Katungi begged for help from a woman who drove him to Consititution Square. He retraced his steps to CPS and met the officer in charge of operations who had taken him to the hospital.

The officer drove him back to State House in Nakasero where he was interviewed and told by an official in the presence of the police officer that he will be given money for his treatment. After the session, he was taken to another office and told to wait.

After sometime, Mr Katungi says, he was given food and told to go back to CPS where he would receive the money for treatment.

Not helped
At CPS, Mr Katungi was met by a furious officer in charge who told him that he had wasted his fuel to take him to State House and the “rest is up to your bosses to help you”.

On Monday this week, Mr Katungi returned to State House Nakasero but was blocked at the entrance and asked to bring a police reference letter for the case if he needed to enter.

When he returned on Tuesday, officers manning the State House entrance told him to go to the Media Centre and meet Mr Tamale Mirundi, the Presidential Advisor on Media, who would help him.

He obliged and walked to the Media Centre only to be told that Mr Mirundi now works at NBS, a private television station.

rn rn

You might also like

Leave a comment